Friday, September 24, 2010

Seat Part III

I changed the plan for the seat slightly, and cut off the arms. The hump still needs some finish work, massaging the bumps and wrinkles out.
But now that it's mostly finished, I started on the pan, the actual part which will be padded and sat upon. I started by clamping the hump in place, and making a paper pattern.

I also cut a relief in the middle to clear some of the electronics which are mounted under the seat.
The pattern needed trimming to get close:

Next I transferred the pattern to paper and cut it out:
Notice the electrical tape I placed on the border of the pattern, this extra width will let me fold the pan down to cover the frame and look nicer.
I will cut the relief for the electronics in the metal later.

Kind of looks like a headstone, no?

After some trimming, mocked in place, looks pretty good:

Thursday, September 16, 2010

My garage and the bike

My garage:
You clearly don't need a huge equipped space to make some cool stuff and have fun. Though I should tidy up a bit.
The bike:
1982 Yamaha XS400.
Done so far:
Stripped of all unnecessary body parts and accesories (fenders, turn signals, ugly head and taillights, hideous handlebars)
Replaced gas tank with one from a Suzuki GS450 for better looks.
Modified frame rear of shock mounts.
Mounted electronics under seat.
Begun handmade aluminum bum-stop seat.
New clubman handlebars courtesy of my neighbor Justin.
Oh, and got it running, it had sat for a few years.

Still to do:
Finish seat.
Build battery box.
Hook up hand-controls.
Mount headlight.
Hide unsightly wiring.
New chain and tires also called for.

The new rear frame:

The welds are a little ugly, but its strong enough to stand on and lift the bike by so it's strong enough for me. I drilled and tapped holes in the cross-brackets to mount the electronics.

Also, my other bike project, on the back-burner currently as it needs way more work. The 1966 Benelli 125: